Monday, March 10, 2014

Part 1: Chair Reupholstery

Happy Monday all! Man on man…let me tell you, I had NO idea what I was getting myself into. I have never reupholstered anything before so I was unaware how challenging this project would be. 

My wife and I have been wanting to reupholster this chair for a while. When I bought it 5 years ago, I was in love with the crazy floral print, but as the years went by, I regretted going for such a bold pattern. It no longer matched any of our decor and needed to go.

Chair: BEFORE

Don't get me wrong, at one point in time during my Anthropologie obsession, I thought this print was the coolest thing in the world; however, as times have changed so has my style.

Yesterday, Brooke and I went to JoAnn's Fabrics with our 40% off coupons to search for our new fabric. This step has been the most fun so far. Here are the contenders…

I LOVE the Ikat Design! 
I love the gray and the simplicity of this print
I really loved this pattern, but not the
color….we wanted a gray print
This was Brooke's pick. I wasn't too big a
fan of the color, but I do like the pattern

Which one did we choose?
We went with the Ikat print! We also wanted to find a dark grey fabric to reupholster our ottoman. We ended up picking one the same color as the dark gray in the ikat print above. 

Once we brought the prints home, it was time to get to work.

Materials

*As we continue through this process, I may add some more materials*

- fabric of your choice (we got 4 yards)
- phillips head screw driver (to remove the legs of your chair)
- flat head screw driver (to remove the staples)
- staple gun
- pliers
- fabric scissors
- sewing machine (not necessary)

The Process:

1. The first thing you should do is remove the legs of your chair. We didn't have a long enough screw driver so Brooke went out and bought one (THANK YOU!)

Brooke saves the day by purchasing
a long screw driver!

2. Flip your chair upside down and, using the flat screw drive and pliers, start removing all of the staples. This is a long and tedious process.


We only had one flat screw
driver so I got creative

Once I removed the staples from the bottom
cover, there were move underneath



3. As you remove the staples just keep peeling off the fabric. Be careful to only peel off the fabric and not the foam as you will need to upholster over the foam.





This is where we left off. Tonight I am going to cut out the new fabric. Wish me luck!

xx,

W

0 comments:

Post a Comment