Friday, March 7, 2014

DIY Bookshelf Stenciling

Happy Friday all! Today i'm going to talk about a project I completed this past fall. I love the way stenciled book cases look, and ever since I bought this bookshelf a few years ago, I have been dying to give it a makeover.

source
source
It's just so boring! I perused the internet for some inspiration and found these photos.


source
source
After doing some research, I decided on doing a Moroccan trellis (or quatrefoil as some people call it) pattern. To begin, I found a free stencil online. I can no longer locate the stencil, unfortunately, but a simple google search will bring up many free ones. 

* FYI, i'm sure there are more efficient ways to complete this project *

Materials:
  • white spray paint
  • a small can of paint in the color of your choice
  • small paint brushes
  • card stock
  • pencil
  • stencil
The Process:
1. I measured the back of the bookcase, went to home depot and had them cut a piece of plywood according to the measurements.
2. Once I got home I spray painted the plywood white and waited about 2 hours for it to dry.
3. While the plywood was drying I located and cut out a stencil.

4. Once the plywood was dry I traced the stencil onto the plywood. This process was SO time consuming. I would highly recommend pouring yourself a glass of wine and putting on some music or trash tv to help break up the monotony :-)
5. Once I had stenciled a row, I began to fill in the stenciled areas with paint.

* Please ignore the bubbles. There was an issue with the spray paint. I had to go over the bad areas with white paint later in the process.*

6. Continue with this process until you're done stenciling and painting.
7. Once that is done, nail it to the back of your bookshelf and you're done!

my cute wife and my progress
this took FOREVER!

making progress
recognize the ladder? ;)
close up
it's finished!
 
That's all I have for you today! As always, let me know what you think!

Have a good weekend :)

XX,

W

0 comments:

Post a Comment