Monday, March 11, 2013

Candle Making

I think it is safe to say that I am clinically obsessed with candles. I love the way they make a room feel so cozy. My favorite scents overall are jasmine or gardenia, but I also love anything beach inspired or pine/cedar/christmas time goodness. This past weekend I went to Beverly's while Brooke did the TJ shopping and came out with $40.00 worth of candle making supplies. I ended up spending more than I wanted to, so for my next batch I think I will shop around for better prices.

microwaveable soy wax, wicks, 2 Bell mason jars, 
ocean mist and dozen roses candle scents



The Process:
1. Place the soy wax in a microwaveable container and follow directions for microwave time. Hint: I needed to microwave the wax for much longer than the recommended time.
2. While the wax is microwaving cut out two 1" x 3" pieces of cardboard and poke a hole in the middle large enough for the wick to fit through.
3. Place the wick at the bottom of the jar and poke it through the cardboard. Rest the cardboard on top of the jar once the wick is centered.
4. Once the wax is melted pour as much scent as you want into the wax and stir. I accidentally dropped the ocean mist scent into the wax and ended up using WAY more then I had anticipated, but it actually smells amazing so i'm not too disappointment with how much scent I wasted on one candle.
5. Pour the wax into the jar. You might need to hold the wick while you pour it because it tends to move around. At Beverly's they sold wick stickers to help hold the wick in place, which I will use next time because the wick didn't stay centered.
6. Cut the wick so there is about 1/2 inch pocking out from the top of the candle.
7. Allow 1 - 2 hours drying time before lighting the candle or the wax will melt too fast.
8. Light and enjoy :-)




xx,
W

0 comments:

Post a Comment